OPEN ACCESS DATABASES
LIST OF FREE AND OPEN ACCESS DATABASES AND SEARCH ENGINES
1. Academic Journals (http://www.academicjournals.org/journals.htm)
Medical Sciences, Social Sciences, Biological Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Physical Sciences, Engineering, Arts and Education, Legal Studies, Other Journals - International NGO Journal; Scientific Research and Essays; International Journal of Peace and Development Studies
2. Africa Journals Online (AJOL) www.ajol.info
Subject strengths: Agricultural sciences, arts, tourism, language & literature, health, science & technology, social sciences, religion and theology, information science, education, law, psychology, finance and management and HIV/AIDs
3. African Journal Archive - http://www.sabinet.co.za/?page=african-journal-archive
This a retrospective digitization project of full-text journal articles published in Africa, in the Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, providing access to a multi-disciplinary, multi-country digital archive of Africa’s research and cultural heritage contained in its journal literature.
4. Bepress - http://www.bepress.com/
Bepress is the frontier of scholarly publishing, founded by professors in 1999. It exists to serve academia by delivering scholarly communication and publishing services for academic institutions, empowering their communities to showcase and share their works for maximum impact.
5. Biomed Central: the open Access Publisher - http://www.biomedcentral.com/
6. BioOne - http://www.bioone.org/
Provides a unique aggregation of high-impact bioscience research journals, featuring timely content on a wide-array of today’s most pressing topics, including global warming, stem cell research, ecological and biodiversity conservation plus HIV/AIDs
7. CSIR Research Space - http://researchspace.csir.co.za/dspace/
This database provides access to some of the research outputs generated by CSIR scientists. The CSIR in South Africa is one of the leading scientific and technology research, development and implementation organizations in Africa.
8. Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) - http://www.doaj.org/
Subject strengths: philosophy and religion, languages and literatures, arts and architecture, agriculture and food sciences, biology and life sciences, business and economics, chemistry, health sciences, earth and environmental sciences, history and archeology, social sciences, science general, law, technology and engineering, general works
9. Eldis - http://www.eldis.org
Eldis aims to share the best in development, policy, practice and research. It has 26,000 full text documents free to download
10. FreeFullpdf - http://www.freefullpdf.com/
Over 80 million of free scientific publications
Life sciences | Health sciences | Physics sciences and Engineering | Social sciences and Humanities
11. Global Ethics Network - http://www.globethics.net/ - provides an electronic platform for ethical reflection and action
12. Google scholar - http://scholar.google.com/
General database (multi-disciplinary) containing scholarly information
13. Health organization publications (WHO) - http://www.who.int/about/en/
Provides statistics and reports on health. (World- wide coverage). HIV/AIDs
14. HighwireStandford University - http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl
Free Online Full-text Articles (list limited to journals published online with the assistance of Highwire press)
15. Information Research - http://informationr.net/ir/index.html
It is an open access, international, peer-reviewed, scholarly journal, dedicated to making accessible the results of research across a wide range of information-related disciplines
16. Integrated publishing - www.tpub.com
Repair Manuals, Training Courses, Army Training, Automotive Training, Army Aviation, Construction Manuals, Diving Instruction, Drafting,
Instruction Manuals, Electronics, Electrician Training, Engineering, Meteorology, Military Training, Photography Manuals.
17. JSTOR - http://www.jstor.org/
Subject strengths: Humanities and social sciences, language & literature, linguistics, music, mathematics & statistics, education, health science, law, library science, biological sciences, architecture, psychology, music, religion, mathematics
18. Lecturers/lectures Notes – www.lecturefox.com
A range of videos on lectures, lecture notes and short courses
19. National Academies Press (NAP) - http://www.nationalacademies.org/publications/
The National Academies Press (NAP) allows readers in most developing countries to obtain Academies reports free from the NAP Web site in portable document format (PDF). Access is also available to Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a multidisciplinary journal that spans the biological, physical, and social sciences
20. Nepal Journals Online (NepJOL) - http://www.nepjol.info/
NepJOL is a database of journals published in Nepal, covering the full range of academic disciplines.
21. OCED Working Papers - http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/papers
22. Opendoar - http://www.opendoar.org/
List of world repositories archiving scholarly materials and peer reviewed journals of interdisciplinary nature.
23. Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page access to range of websites offering a wide selection of downloadable free books, article and journals
The ScientificCommons.org allows the user to search for full-text articles across over 1,100 repositories from 55 countries from just one interface. It also identifies authors from all archives and makes their social and professional relationships transparent and visible to anyone across disciplinary, institutional and technological boundaries.
25. Sri Lanka Journals Online (SLJOL) http://www.sljol.info/index.php/index
SLJOL is a database of journals published in Sri Lanka, covering the full range of academic disciplines.
Subjects covered:Agriculture, Architecture, Building and Planning, Biological Sciences, Education, Law, Mathematics and Computer Sciences, Medicine and Dentistry, Multidisciplinary, Physical Sciences, Social Studies, Subjects allied to Medicine
26. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) - http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/The UNESCO catalog lists over 100,000 UNESCO documents and provides access to the full text of many of these.
27. University of Stellebosch, SA - http://scholar.sun.ac.za/
SUNScholar is an open access electronic archive for the collection, preservation and distribution of digital materials created by members of Stellenbosch University, which are of great academic research importance.
28. Virginia Tech Electronic Library - http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/
Digital Library and Archives provides access to scholarly electronic journals that are peer-reviewed, full text and accessible without cost. Journal range from topics in education, engineering, literature to technology, philosophy and libraries science. Most journals are available in both PDF and HTML
29. World Bank Publications - www.elibrary.worldbank.org/
The World Bank eLibrary is the World Bank’s subscription-based collection of nearly 8,000 books, reports, journals, and working papers including:
· Development Outreach, World Bank Economic Review and World Bank Research Observer journal articles published since 1996
· Development Economics (DEC) policy research working papers published since 1995
· e-books and reports dating as far as the 1970’s (in the case of the World Development Reports), plus
· all new formal publications upon release.
1. All Books Free - http://www.allbooksfree.com/ - include: fiction, children’s books and poetry
2. Bookboon (http://bookboon.com/)
Free online textbooks. They are downloadable. Cover topics such as economics, statistics, IT, engineering and natural science.
3. Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB)http://www.doabooks.org/DOAB is a discovery service for peer reviewed books published under an Open Access license. DOAB provides a searchable index to the information about these books, with links to the full texts of the publications at the publisher's website or repository.
4. Knowfree- www.knowfree.net – It is a web portal where users are able to exchange freely e-books, video training and other materials for educational purposes and self-practice. It contains loads of free technology, engineering, web development and business skills e-books and video tutorials too.
5. Many books.net - http://manybooks.net/ - free e-books for your PDA, ipod or ebook reader. There are more than 26,658 eBooks. There may be a limited number of text books relating to IUM courses. Try searching by “Genre” first.
6. Neotake- www.neotake.com – ebook search engine which has indexed several eBooks in various formats like ePUB,PDF,LRF,TXT,Mobipocket etc. it also has mobile version of the site. More than 200,000 eBooks have been indexed currently.
7. Online Books - http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/Online Books is a website that facilitates access to 20,000 books that are freely readable over the Internet.
8. Open Book Publishers - http://www.openbookpublishers.com/
This is an independent academic publisher, run by scholars who are committed to making high-quality research available to readers around the world. It publishes monographs and textbooks in the Humanities and Social Sciences. All books are available to read for free online.
9. Pdfgeni- www.pdfgeni.com - search for download books, novels, manuals, articles, document templates, reports, data sheets, in pdf format.
10. Textbook revolution - http://textbookrevolution.org/index.php/Main_Page
On this site you'll find links and reviews of textbooks and select educational resources. Some of the books are PDF files, others are viewable online as e-books, or some are simply web sites containing course or multimedia content.
11. Free Thesaurus - http://freethesaurus.com/
Free Thesaurus is a comprehensive online thesaurus of synonyms, antonyms, and related words. The thesaurus contains more than 145,800 unique entries from three top sources: Collins Thesaurus of the English Language - Complete and Unabridged, The American Heritage Roget's Thesaurus, and WordNet.